Sound is the most potent form of communication. You can learn a lot about the emotion of the person who is speaking, like anger, lust, love, passion, and disgust.
Remember radio from over 90 years ago? It had the same effect!
Words that are spoken cannot be taken back, so the emphasis on listening.
“Podcast” is a portmanteau, a combination of “iPod” and “broadcast“. The term “podcasting” was first suggested by The Guardian columnist and BBC journalist Ben Hammersley, who invented it in early February 2004 while writing an article for The Guardian newspaper.
In August 2004, Adam Curry launched his show Daily Source Code. It was a show focused on chronicling his everyday life, delivering news, and discussions about the development of podcasting, as well as promoting new and emerging podcasts.
Podcasts are an inspiration from the radio of ancient times! Why a podcast?
A podcast is a dialogue between two parties, the interviewer and the interviewee on topics of current affairs, something new or opinions on certain topics.
Did you know there are 850,000 podcasts available for download at any given time? With the right strategy you can find the niche audience for the content that you are presenting. 90 million people listen to podcasts regularly per the study.
There are 3 different kinds of podcast:
- Information Podcast
- Talk show podcast
- Expert interview Reid Hoffman’s Masters of Scale, the interviewer focuses on a specific topic in which the interviewee is considered a thought leader.
- Entertainment interviews: Entertainment-style podcasts invite guests to share interesting stories about their lives.
- Conversational podcasts – Hosted by two people discussing a particular topic.
- Monologue podcasts – expert in their own field. For e.g. Philosophize this – host Stephen West. Beginning with presocratic philosophy West provides different kinds of thoughts with this podcast.
- Entertainment podcast
A podcast with a lot of melody and skits for the audience to enjoy.
What equipment do you need for your podcasts?
- Sound mixers
- Editing Software
- Publishing sites
- Guests and interviewees
- Microphone stand
What are the podcast editing softwares?
Podcasts are a strong medium of communication; hence, use it wisely. Keep your podcasts about 20-30 minutes long. Make sure to channel the conversation focusing on the topic. Any deviation from the topic should be stopped and changes should be made to the question.
Make sure to save the audio recording of the podcast for editing at a later time. Since podcast editing can be tedious, it is essential to do little amounts of work on a daily basis till the completion of the editing.
What are the sites that host podcasts?
- Buzz sprout
Popular podcasts sites
- It helps people with disabilities participate in communication and contribute to the development of podcasts.
- Educational podcasts are very common for kids who are unable to attend in-person schools.
- It helps listeners to focus on one topic at a time and make mental notes.
- It improves active listening skills.
- A lot of information is conveyed in a short period of time. Improves communication skills.
- It improves interpersonal communication skills and caters to a small part of the audience.
- You can listen at your own convenience very much like a recording that you watch.
Listeners, please indulge in listening to podcasts and improve your active listening and questioning skills. Stay curious and listen!
Written by Priya Shastri, VPM of Women L.E.A.D. Toastmasters
Come to our next meeting tomorrow and learn more about code-switching on July 7th 6:45pm PT
Image credit – Pixels Free Photos